Here we can duplicate the DropBox contextual menu's action and even improve on it at the same time, by using the Automator application to create an OSX service, which will have the function of moving a file or folder to your DropBox and then reveal the item for further action.
- Open Automator from the Applications folder
- Choose to create a new Service
- Choose the options Service receives selected: Files or Folders in Finder
- Drag the Move Finder Items action from the middle column into your workflow window at right
- Select your DropBox folder for the Move Finder Items To: option
- Drag the Reveal Finder Items action from the middle column into your workflow window at right
- Save the workflow from the File Menu, naming it Move to DropBox. The file when saved ends up in your user's Library/Services folder. You can edit it if you want to change the way it works, or duplicate it and target specific project folders.
Then test it out: right-click a file or folder in the Finder, and choose Move to DropBox from the Services sub-menu. Note that if a file with the same name already exists at the destnation no action will occur.
Please leave a comment if it's helped you. Thanks!